Laugh Out Loud

Kelly - Fairfield, Connecticut

I believe in laughter. I believe in smiling so hard that your smile barely fits on your face. With one single smile you can change your mood and the mood of those around you. Don’t you think that is great?

Throughout my life I’ve always been told “I love your laugh, Kelly,” and I never really understood that. How can someone like my laugh more than others? Isn’t a laugh just a laugh? I wondered this forever, and as I was writing this essay I had trouble thinking of something that I strongly believed in, something that I was truly passionate about. I was sitting in the lobby of the YMCA reading over my two page list of possible beliefs. Some were crazy, crazy to a point where I actually laughed out load. Then I heard this giggle. I looked next to me and there was this little girl, who couldn’t have been older than five, and she was laughing at me. She was actually laughing at me! I realized that she had no idea what I was laughing about, but my laughter was enough to make her happy enough to laugh with me.

That is when it really hit me; laughter is one of the simplest acts that truly does have the power to connect people together for even the slightest moment. What else can really do that? The feeling that I get when I am really laughing hard about something is un-describable. It makes everything bad in my life not be there, even if it is only for a few minutes.

Everyone should enjoy laughing. I know I do, I love to laugh. It makes me feel good about myself, about everything around me. I have come to realize that no one actually “likes my laugh.” They more like the fact that I do laugh, and I laugh a lot. And through this laughter that I share with those around me, we just enjoy ourselves. Laughter might be one of the most powerful tools, so why fight it? Laugh as hard as you can because laughter really brings out the true you and makes you happy.

This, I believe.