Get Out What You Put In

Timothy - Bonita, California

When asked to state my beliefs, I, more times often than not, find myself running into more than the occasional raised eyebrow. The reason being is that I believe in Fate, so to speak. I believe that I am “fated” to do certain things in my life, and yet I still have at least some control over how these things will be played out under the rules of Karma. I get out what I put in. Even though I am fated to be in a certain situation, I can make the ride smooth, or rough, depending upon my own actions. Each good deed which I perpetuate that creates a positive force in my surrounding environment enhances my odds of living a stress free, and more productive life. The exact opposite is true if I try to take advantage of a situation for example, or mislead someone, or even pass up the opportunity to help someone in need. All these things, and more, have a negative effect on the overall outcome of my life. Pretty grueling, some would say. Not so, I would reply. It does take constant vigilance that is true, but the rewards out weigh the cost I assure you. Most of my life, while painful in the eyes of some beholders, has had some very high watermarks. For example, there was one instance where I went through a considerable amount of trouble just to get to an elderly couple who had broken down on a freeway off ramp. Upon reaching them though, imagine my surprise when I learned that they didn’t speak English, and of course my Spanish was horrible at best! Not daunted by this turn of events, I showed the woman my cell phone and motioned that she could use it to call someone. She didn’t know how to use a cell phone! Still, determined to help, I showed her as best I could how to use it, and we finally got someone on the line for her. Then in my best broken Spanish I asked her “Uno mas?” Meaning did she have to make any more phone calls. She said “No, gracias”, and that was when I took my leave, but only when I knew that help was on the way. The funny part was that even though they were blocking the off ramp, not one other person had even stopped to ask if they needed any help! You see, I was fated to be there. No one else was going to help them, it had to be me. At least that’s the way I see it. And I made the best of a bad situation by my actions while I was there too. I could have thrown my hands into the air at any time, but I didn’t, I stuck with it. The clincher is this… The rest of my week went off without a hitch. You see, I got out what I put in. I also believe that if it were not for this writing class, I would not have been able to share this with any of you. My whole reason for writing this piece is to give you all one ultimate message which is really quite simple. Next time you have the opportunity to do something good, do it, it WILL come back to you in the end… Trust me, it always does.