This I Believe…

Chelsee - alton, Illinois

This I believe….

For years I was made fun of because my dad was gay. For years I was made fun of because my parents got divorced when I was young. For years I was made fun of because the clothes I wore. Then those people who made fun of me realized that just because of my family or what I wore didn’t mean I was unhappy or poor, it just meant I was being me and it was what I had to live with. I couldn’t change the fact that I wore clothes passed down, or that my mom and dad didn’t love each other anymore. I had to make the best of it. When I moved from Illinois to North Carolina, it was them same. I believe that everyone is prejudices in their own way. Everyone always has something to say about one another. Preps can’t stand Goths, Goths can’t stand the people who are doing something and, they can’t stand preps. We all have labels in some way or another. Whether we give it to ourselves or someone we don’t even know gives it to you. Everyone makes comments about each other because of how they show their personality. If you wear tripp pants or tight jeans. If you wear bright colors or dark colors. Just because you’re skinny, wear bright colors and a lot of make up (for a girl) doesn’t mean you’re prep it’s just how you’ve been all your life. My mom and grandma always told me “never judge a book by its cover”. Meaning just because someone looks poor or wears handy me downs doesn’t mean they don’t have any money, they could have all the money in the world. If someone looks like they have a lot of money it could mean they don’t. Just because you have a lot of friends don’t mean you’re popular. All of the people you hang out with could be talking about you behind your back. The people you see in a group of about three people could be the closest friends you see because they only know who can trust a person and who can’t. Sometimes if we a pregnant teenage girls or teenage boys fathering newborns. Teenage girls don’t necessary mean to get pregnant boys don’t necessarily mean to get the girl pregnant. Most teenage mothers and fathers are blamed for being parents at young ages. Special kids or mentally ill children are always teased because the way they are. How they learn slower than others, how they walk differently or how they talk. The main question no one ever asks themselves is, what if I were like that, what if I dressed or spoke differently, what if I had too many or little friends, what if?