No regrets

Blake - san clemente, California
Themes: carpe diem

I watch the faces of old men. I see them look at the younger people around them, and I wonder what lesson they would like to share above all others. I wonder what piece of knowledge they would pass on to younger people, and time after time I return to the same thought. I imagine them looking me straight in the eye and saying, “If only you knew how short life really is.” Although this is an imaginary incidence, it is one that brought me to a very real conclusion. I believe that life is too short to be lived with regret.

Truly living a life without regret demands many things. The most difficult is developing uncompromising will, will to pour one’s soul into everything one does, with indifference to judgment or failure. I believe if a person can play every game as if it’s their last, and give every performance as a Grammy-winning performance, it will lead to a life without regret. I know it isn’t an easy task to lay one’s heart on the line day after day, but getting the ball rolling is the most difficult part. One performance turns into two, two turns into three and so on until it becomes a habit, and soon enough the habit will turn into the very makeup of an individual’s being.

There is another obstacle in the search for a life without regret. Fear. Although fears are a part of every being, they do not define that being. During the most difficult times in my life my fears are with me. They whisper in my ear saying, “What if you don’t succeed? What if your best isn’t good enough?” but I know that these fears are simply there, that they have no power over me, and that they don’t define who I am. This knowledge allows me to continue forward on my path of uncompromising will, a path that leads to a life without regret.

One day, I’m sure much sooner than anyone thinks, I will be an old man looking upon the young people around me. Whether I’m rich or poor, deeply respected or little known, I will be content with the fact that I lived every moment of life to its fullest. I played every game like it was my last, I gave every performance as if it was at the Grammy’s, and I loved like I would never love again. Even then I will have the same belief that life should be lived without regret.