Cingular Wireless

Mark - Santa Clara, California

Berdoup! There goes one of the most annoying sounds. Berdoup! Just die already…. Berdoup! Last year in the dorms, my roommate, had the longest lasting dieing cell phone that made the most annoying noise in the middle of the night. This phone would only wake me up. In fact this single phone dieing right now inspired me to write on this topic: I believe that having a cellular phone is a nuisance. Cell phones are more trouble than they are worth. Sure they are extremely convenient for communication, however too convenient when people think they can multi-task. Just the other day I was riding my bike while talking on the phone. Not a good idea. I used my right hand to talk on the phone so when I went to hit my left brake, my front brake, I ate it.

Is the ability making a phone call while not only riding a bike but also driving a car worth getting into an accident? At least after the accident it might be nice to have. Cell phones are very useful in emergency situations especially when they aren’t the cause of them. Yet in most emergency situations when I try to rely on my phone for help, it can’t. Zero bars, low battery, or it is broken in two pieces from falling off my bike. Cell phones are often unreliable for emergencies, which I would think to be their most important use.

Getting my first cell phone was great. I could call my friends and they could call me. Except now I always have to always pick up even when I don’t want to. Sure I claim I didn’t have it or hear it, but now I am lying and my friend knows it. Even worse is when I am trying to take a nap and the thing starts to ring across the room, not only waking me up, but forcing me to get up. Also, it is extremely bad when my parents call when I am somewhere doing something they wouldn’t like. An example of this could take place at a raging party while I am still under age. That tends to worry parents. Having the cell phone then allows my parents to check up on me anywhere at anytime and quite often.

The most liberating vacations are the ones from my phone. When I leave home I make sure that I don’t bring my charger. This gives me the excuse to be out of direct reach and away from all the responsibilities of having a cellular phone. In case of an emergency however I can still make a phone call or even be reached because everyone around me has a phone. There was a time where there were no cell phones and everyone was just fine. Cell phones are definitely just a paint today.