I Believe I was meant to be a hippie

Diane - Shepherdsville, Kentucky

I believe I was meant to be a hippie. Its not that I hate the generation I live in now. I pretty much like it. I just think I would have been a good hippie, since hippies were so different than the average person at the time. I like being different, so I would have fit right in with them.

I can’t even tell you how many people call me weird, or a nerd, or a loser daily. Usually, I just think it’s funny. It doesn’t bother me. I take it as a compliment, agree with them, and go on with my day. Being different is for real one of the most important things you can do. It sets you apart from every one else and people wont ever forget you if you stick out in their mind. I don’t really see the point in just being like everybody else. I can tell you right now I am way different than any of my friends, but I like it that way. Think about what you think when you hear the word hippie. Most people think of weird clothes, free love, and lots of drugs. Even if this isn’t the best way to live, it was for sure way different. Just look at what they are now. The hippies have a movement, a generation, and a way of life all their own. I’m sure some people didn’t like them, and just though they were stupid people looking for a reason to use drugs.

You know what else I like about the hippies? I like that they actually had a goal. Being different is always cool, but being different so you can get what you want blows my mind. That’s why I wish I would have lived in the generation with the hippies. They were peaceful, different, didn’t care what people thought about them, and were fighting for a cause in a peaceful way. I mean, anybody who can go to a festival for 3 days with an insane amount of people, and not get in any fights is for sure admirable in my book.