Everybody Needs Somebody to Love

Joel - San Gabriel Dr., California
Themes: love

The feeling of being alone is horrible. Hearing from someone else that everything will be all right does wonders. Tough times come our way, and if not for our family and friends help, we would not be were we are right now. Family and friends form the backbone of our lives. Apart from the backbone, I find myself developing another kind of bone, a love bone. Don’t get me wrong, but let musician, Solomon Burke tell you what I mean. His song called, “Everybody Needs Somebody To Love” vocalizes what he and I believe. He has a “message for every woman and every man […] that ever needed somebody to love. […] Listen to me. Everybody needs somebody to love.” In order to be fulfilled in life, I believe everybody does need somebody to love, and somebody to return that love.

Even though love is a word, and some people my think words are dead, it affects people in so many unexpected ways. The word goes into your ear, to the thalamus or inner chamber of your brain. The relay sensor then goes to the amygdala, where memories and emotional responses are made. Electrical neural charges then trigger off any past experiences you related to the word love, and emotions arise. The hypothalamus is what gives you autonomic arousal such as butterflies in the stomach. Even though a word, I believe love can help anyone through even the hardest of times.

Stress is inevitable, but research has shown that a positive substitute thought like love can counter that stress. I listened to Professor Neidhardt talk about stress one day in Psychology 202. People have a problem will taking one bad event, and turning it into a never-ending catastrophe. I sometimes find myself in this category, but the interference solution of loving, or the thought of love has resulted in positive effects. I know they form long lasting memories. Love memories are long term; they give people inspiration, and make us stronger.

I see people every day who have a special somebody in their life. Solomon Burke makes clear that when “you do find that somebody. Hold that woman, hold that man […] because it’s so important to have that special somebody.” Finding that special someone requires patience, but once found, the deep connection could last a lifetime. It feels good to have someone “when you’re up, and when you’re down.” Who doesn’t want somebody to love, and somebody to return that love?

Some people might be scared when it comes to love, afraid to go outside the comfort of their own home. But say if people did go outside the comfort of their home, willing to break a few bones on the journey, wouldn’t all that experience in finding that loved one be worth the experience?