Never Too Young For Tea

Nicole - Colorado Springs, Colorado

I believe that a cup of tea tastes better with my Grandma, and that tea parties are not just for little girls. My Grandma made sure I had my first tea set by the age of two and a new tea dress every year starting at the age of five. The dress would always have large bows, lace trimmings and be full enough for me to twirl in. When I put it on, I felt like a princess and I absolutely loved it. Once it became a tradition to go shopping for a dress once a year, I started getting excited months in advance. Shopping with my Grandma almost became a holiday in my mind.

The first six years of my life I grew up living 15 minutes away from my grandparents, so tea parties were held every week. It was during those young childhood years that I started off with apple juice. I would always try my best to be a lady and sip it with my pinky finger stuck out while I crunched on graham crackers. My brother would sometimes join in but he thought it was too much of a girl thing. And it was. It was the only chance my Grandma and I were able to spend quality time.

As I got older, my Grandma started taking me to extravagant places to drink tea like the Broadmoor in Colorado, and the Ritz Carlton in California. We went everywhere from little teashops downtown to snazzy places charging forty dollars a person. Those times were so special. We would stay and talk for hours about life, eating our scones with strawberry jelly and clotted cream. I confess, sometimes it was hard for me to sit for a long period of time. I wanted to eat the food and move on, but my Grandma taught me to take things slow and enjoy the moment. Ever since I moved to college, I’ve realized how precious those moments were and how blessed I am today to have a Grandma like her. She helped bring out the innocence and purity in my life and showed me that to have fun can consist of a good cup of tea and someone dear to your heart. Nothing else was needed.

Over the years, my Grandma has given me my own teapot, a string of pearls, encouragement and countless words of wisdom. I would not be the same person without her. Every time I have a cup of tea I think of her. Every time I see a teapot or spot a teashop while driving by, I think of her. I admire her for her elegance, grace and classiness. But her joy, upbeat attitude and spirited heart prove to me that tea parties are not just for little girls, but for all ages. Tea will no longer taste the same if my Grandma is not with me.