Prayer through Despair

Derek - san luis obispo, California

During my life I’ve witnessed rather peculiar and opportune events through prayer that redefine luck or just good fortune.

In the summer between my Junior and senior year of high school, I earned scholarship level interest from several quality athletic programs using my God given soccer ability. August 8th, 2006, at approximately 8:45 p.m., I received the most significant phone call to date. Head coach Paul Holocher of the Cal Poly mustangs briefly gave details regarding my scholarship entailments; but more importantly, he stressed the significance of developing studious habits for my college bound future.

In the ensuing weeks, senior year was underway. I blissfully strolled around campus free of the daunting stresses that colleges can pose on seniors. As a result of my gratification, I developed a lackadaisical attitude that diverted my balance and focus from both school and soccer merely to soccer. I had also heard that scholarship athletes simply needed a minimum of a 2.0 GPA to remain eligible for most colleges. By allowing these corrupting notions to cloud my head, my academic performance took a major hit.

I was fortunate to escape the first semester with passing grades, but as time elapsed the second semester appeared quite troublesome. I was forced to undertake additional elective classes Poly required which only piled on an already lofty load I had to bear. The poor habits I had acquired continued to linger although the stakes were now higher. I disgracefully earned three C’s, two D’s and an F to conclude an appalling third quarter. For the first time in my academic career, my parents became engaged in constant communication with each one of my teachers. From folks around the community to the coaches at Poly, everyone questioned my desire and ability not only to make it in college, but even to graduate from high school. When my father told me that I would have to find a new place to live if I lost my scholarship, I had never felt so worthless and embarrassed in my life.

As I calculated the number of points left in the quarter seeking to rectify my dilemma, it was simply impossible to overturn my predicament. For the first time in my life, I felt completely powerless. Hoping for something miraculous, I turned to my stable family roots in Christianity and let the power of prayer (communicating with God) dictate the outcome of this life altering situation. I believe that through prayer, God influenced my teachers to breach their policies allowing me to benefit through specially crafted extra credit assignments.

My admission to Poly came down to my performance on the last day of finals. The tests were cumulative, and I was quite skeptical of succeeding based off of the abundance of instruction I disregarded throughout the year. Amazingly, three of my lowest grades ranged between 70.0 and 72.4. Successfully admitted and relieved, I realized God’s plan and purpose for this experience was to develop my communication through prayer in times of disparity.