The Father Son Bond

Justin - Maple Valley, Washington

The Father Son Bond

I was eleven years old and encountered my first confrontation with a kid named Alex. I was in the fifth grade, a cocky boy with a big attitude. I was fearless and thought I had the answer to everything. The scuffle was broken up; Alex and I were sent to the principal. On the way to the principal’s office I was not afraid of the principal in any way; instead I was terrified of what my dad would think when he found out. As I sat there on the bench close to the principal’s door, I played through every scenario of what the reaction of my dad would be. Then around the corner came my dad, with a pissed off look on his face. He didn’t say anything to me as he went strait into the principal’s office.

They talked for awhile while I sat there in anxiousness and fear. The door opened and my dad sat next to me on the bench, he asked me “What happened,” and I replied “I hit Alex in the face.” “Why?” my dad said. “Because he pushed me on the ground,” I answered. We sat on that bench for about an hour just talking. He told me that what I did was not a good thing to do, and taught me ways of getting around fighting. He still to this day has continued to teach me things about life. He has guided me through life and molded me into the man I am today, and helped me along the rough and tough road of life. This is why I believe in the bond between father and son.

With out my dad being involved in my life I don’t think I would be on the same path I am now. He has helped me stay focused on the goals I have had since I was a young boy. I look at people who have gone down the paths of substance abuse and drugs and most of them never had a strong bond with their father. Growing up teenagers cannot see the consequences and long term affects of their actions. A father is supposed to make his son aware of the repercussions of his actions. Having a strong enough bond with my dad allowed us to open up to each other and get to know one another on a deeper level. I don’t lie to my dad when he asks me questions because I know I can trust him enough to not judge me, but to guide me in the right direction.

The bond between father and son is one of the strongest bonds a boy can have. This bond provides a relief from stress, a person to talk to, a place to feel safe, and most of all a place to receive advice when advice is needed. This is why I believe in the bond between father and son.