How young?

cassandra - lousiville, Kentucky

When considering dating someone what do you consider? Personality, looks, background? I believe that one thing that should never be an issue in dating someone is their age. Whether someone is17 or 20 you’re going to feel the same way about them regardless. You can’t help who you fall for and you shouldn’t let society pull limits on which you can or can’t fall for. People these days want to do what society finds as socially acceptable and follows these guidelines without question. Well in my opinion society isn’t always right and someone should challenge it every now and then.

Society has taught us that if you see a man who looks to be 60 and rich with a girl who looks like she’s 20 then they can’t possibly have real feelings for each other. He must be trying to act younger and she must be after his money, but who is to say they aren’t madly in love with each other. Age shouldn’t be a limitation in people’s minds because just because you’re a certain age doesn’t mean you can’t have strong feelings for another of a completely different age.

Society has mad it seem that if you date someone older you are just all that and so much more but if you date someone younger their must be something wrong with you. If you date younger it must mean you can’t get anyone your own age so you had to lower yourself to find someone. Society makes it difficult to date anyone who is younger than you. People who do date younger get ridiculed and talked about from others who don’t approve, or just can’t deal with it themselves. Some of the happiest couples I know challenged this unfair stereotype and they are some of the happiest people I know.

Yes, I know that there are arguments against this view on age and dating but what makes you think that you know the whole story? You don’t know what goes on between that couple walking down the street, you don’t know their life or relationship. So next time you see that strange couple walking down the street think before you judge.