I believe the Hippies were right!

Meagan - Louisville, Kentucky

I believe the hippies were right.

The original hippies of the sixties had it all correct when they were around. The hippies led unstructured, unscheduled lives. They did what they wanted when they wanted. They didn’t care about the social norms. They were who they wanted to be.

In today’s world every thing and every one has to be on time. Every one has a schedule to follow, and if something gets off people start to freak out. People today are so stressed about being late and not being able to get everything done in a certain amount of time. This stress could all be removed easily, go back to the way of the hippies. The hippies didn’t care about time. It didn’t matter to them. Things got done, when they got done. There was never any rush, so there was never any stress.

In today’s world every one wants to fit in, to be exactly the same at the person next to them. Everywhere girls are dying their hair, getting their nails done and putting on make-up to look like the people in the magazines. Boys are going to the gyms and keeping their hair trimmed to look like the guy in the seat over. Even grown men and women are guilty of this. Not only do they try to fit in with the people their age but they push their kids to fit in also. Parents these days are forcing their kids to play sports they have no interest in. They structure their kids life so that there is hardly if any time for fun. If this were the time of the hippies kids could do what they wanted. Have fun. Be friends with who they wanted without having to live up to the unreasonably high expectorations of their parents. Kids, and teens would not have to deal with the stress they have to deal with now. They could relax and chill. Talk about their feelings, and express themselves how they wanted.

They would not have to worry about fitting in, because fitting in wouldn’t be a necessity to survive, or live a good life. They could dress how they wanted and not have to spend hundreds of dollars on clothes just to fit in. They would not have to spend hours getting ready to go out, therefore wasting more of the time they already don’t think they have enough of. They could just go. Be the way they were born. Be happy.

In today’s world on the news all you see is war and violence. In a world of hippies, this would be non-existent. Hippies believe in peace, and that with peace comes happiness. And I believe the hippies were right.