I Believe in Teachers

Macy - gaithersburg, Maryland

Teachers hold the key to a child’s future, and yet they are one of the least paid professionals in America. Why are teachers on the bottom of the income totem pole when they teach those who are above them to get to that position?

It was my Senior year in High School. I remember student teaching my first class. They were in third grade, and I was a superstar. I remember the look of awe in their eyes with every word I said. I remember receiving my full ride scholarship to the University of Washington and the excitement I felt about my achievements. I remember telling my parents that I got the scholarship, and the happiness and pride in their eyes. I remember telling them that wanted to be a teacher, and I caught a glimpse of skepticism. The first thing they asked me was, “Are you sure you don’t want to be something that….gets paid more? What about a doctor or lawyer?” From then on, I knew that I had chosen the right path. Because of their disbelief in the education system and their view of teachers as an “unglamorous” career path, I knew I found my calling. I didn’t want to go with the grain; I wanted to make a difference. The same way Mrs. Namba, Mrs. Ishikawa and Mrs. Andrews-Solmon made a difference in my life. I wanted to be a superstar in a child’s eyes.

I believe the children are the future. Really. I believe that teachers need to be paid more for attending to them, and parents need to pay more attention to them. So much rests on the shoulders of the youth. We allow them to learn violence on a video game and foul language on television, for what? To give ourselves a little more “alone time.” I believe that parents should spend a little more time in the day to read to their children, play with their children, get to know their children. Then, there will be a little less violence in the world, and a lot more literacy in our schools. I believe that teachers are a handful of the best people in the world. They spend more time with other people’s children than their own, and people depend on teachers to raise their children, rather than doing it on their own. Teachers should be held in the highest regard, among the saints, and super powers, among the pro athletes and the super stars. I believe the children are the future, and teachers will pave that road. I will help pave that road.