Good Conquers All

Bianca - Fairfield, Connecticut

I’m drinking a delightful, ice-cold glass of bubbly, pink lemonade with a zing of lemon taste. There is a drink in my hands: half of it is liquid and the other half of it that contains the hot, sticky air that surrounds me. I drink more from the cup and stop with no longer having that same quench for thirst I had started with. I wonder if I should put my glass away in the sink now. It still has a small sip to spare. I look at the empty space that almost fills my glass now, but I still see the liquid inside it.

When I look at something, I may not be seeing it. Once I see something, it’s much more significant to me than looking at something. I look at the space, but I choose to see the liquid in my glass. I choose to see the liquid in my glass just like I choose to see the bright side every problem I run across. I believe that no matter how mean and unfair life can be, there is always a reason to smile, grin, and to see a positive to everything.

What a cruddy day, I thought to myself. As I look back, I had a lot of homework, a really low grade, a test the next day and oh yeah… I’m grounded for arguing with my dad late last night. I feel like I’m about to break down in tears with so much work and knowing I have so little time to myself. No to mention, there remains a dagger still throbbing inside my heart listening to the words, echoing loudly and clearly the pain and hatred in every one.

But I walk in the library to get some work done after school, and I see the sun in my sky at last! Here are my friends with the smiles as warm as the rays of the sun and loving like a fat kid hasn’t seen a cake for months; here they are to greet me with a wave, a smile and a welcoming hello. Even though I’m grounded now, I know I can spend time with them later. It’s no question they see my face so red, and my body so feverish from my unsettled emotions. Immediately, they ask, “What’s wrong?” and now, I feel that I can tell them anything. They tell me jokes and make me laugh with my smile on my face. In that instant, I forget. I forget those words, that grade, that work for an instant to help me see what I’ve had all along: I have friends that love me for who I am, and I’m eternally grateful to have these as mine.

No matter how dark a situation is there is always be a light out there somewhere. I don’t just look at the light; I see the light like a true optimist would. Goodness always conquers evil as love overpowers hatred. This, I believe.