Theater is a Magic Art

Morgan - louisville, Kentucky

“Theater is magic and magic is theater,” this is just a small part of creed said before each play, and it couldn’t be more true. Theater has many different parts each with their own complications and problems but in the end, when its finally show time, each works together to create one unified peace that can’t be described as anything other than magic.

First there are the actors, the ones that make the magic come alive. Their job is to make every member of the audience feel as if they were a part of that time period and that specific event. And like every other aspect of theater, acting has its ups and downs. Feeling sick ten minutes before curtain, stage fright (something I am personally plagued by), sore throats, and short term memory loss are just a few. But at the end of the day most things simply work themselves out, but being fluent in improv isn’t a bad thing either.

Then there are the costumers, the ones that fix all costume, hair, and makeup problems. When a costume rips days before opening night it is these Techs job to sew it up or cover it up, whatever works. And when a costume rips minutes before curtain these fine people use creative methods of fixing it with safety pins. The same goes with hair that just won’t stay up, stipple sponges that aren’t creating that beard look, and makeup that doesn’t work with the time period. But just as importantly, they are the ones that keep the actors, and sometimes director, calm and assured that everything will be fine in times of crisis.

There is the construction crew which consists of all the amazing Techs that somehow against all odds, turn ordinary pieces of wood into beautiful set pieces and then tear them to shreds the day after closing night. They, along with the props crew, make the scenery to match the scenes the actors are trying to portray, which adds to the illusion that the audience is there in that time period.

And last but not least is the sound and lights crew, who spend much of their time trying to get the atmosphere just right so that it emphasizes what the actors are trying to get across. They work hard to find the perfect place to put a sound cue and the right place to angle a light. If it wasn’t for them the actors would be standing in the dark without any sound.

When all of these elements are put together it becomes a work of art. Nowhere else can you find all these elements working together in such harmony except in theater. Each part has its place and none can be absent because each is equally important. But that isn’t the only reason theater is magic. Theater is magic because of the bonds that are made, unbreakable bonds formed by people who all have a common goal of making others happy. The love that is shared between us is indescribably strong and will last forever. That is why theater is magic and magic truly is theater.