The Essence of Pride

cesar - nampa, Idaho

The Essence of Pride

People should take pride in what they do, even if they are misunderstood by other people. I have been playing soccer for about 13 years now; this sport has inspired my life with breath taking events and has given me my greatest joy. I was imprinted with many labels such as, a waste of time or you’re never going to make it to the professional leagues, but it was a risk I had to take to pursuit my dreams. During those non-motivating years, I never stopped playing soccer and never stopped trying to get better as a player. There have been many times where I have been frustrated at my team, or myself, because they can’t control a ball, or I can’t take on a person one on one. I’ve realized that the only way to get better at something is if you keep practicing, despite the twisted ankles or the crowd cheering for the other team. There’s only one person that controls your destiny, and that’s yourself.

Soccer has gained recognition in the United States in the recent years and is becoming a more popular sport. It still has negative responses such as, it’s a boring game, or there is nothing fun about the game. The majority of the soccer players I know are in college, or married playing soccer professionally in Mexico. So here I am, 19 years old, a single young man with a lot of responsibilities attending North Idaho College to better my future as an adult. Although I have many responsibilities with school work, I am mostly proud of playing soccer in college. Soccer doesn’t seem to be like real work, because I enjoy soccer so much. I’m proud of what I do. My dad never discouraged me to play soccer. He guided me by teaching me the basics and advanced tactical information, you would only get from other players. I hope to someday turn pro in soccer and make my parents proud of me. They want nothing but the best for me. My father being my best friend has given me a lot of advice for the sport.

Find what you love because nothing is promised for tomorrow or today. You might not make it to the top, but if you are doing what you love, there is much more happiness there, than being rich or famous. There is much more than just love in soccer, taking pride in the game is the key to success. Having pride in soccer is the only way to take on the sport. When you have pride you are compassionate that your goal won’t be taken away from you. I feel as if my pride has come from my mother because she has been such a warrior through her whole life. For a mother of nine with an immigrant background, she has become the best mother a person can ask for. My goal is to make it to the top, and as of right now I feel like I am taking on the world to make that goal possible. There have been some major breakdowns throughout my life, but I have risen with strength over those obstacles to become a better athlete and a better person in society.

My past has made me a strong person and my present has been built by support, but it’s my future that is going to lead me through to my destiny.