My Choice

Kendall - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Mankind’s Choice

“The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice,” said George Elliot. What is the most important aspect of life that mankind has? The most important ability that I have is the ability to choose for myself, and to react to the choices of others the way I choose. This single ability gives me power to do anything that I can dream of. It’s my choice what I do and say. Some people would have you disbelieve that you have the power to make every choice the way that you choose. They would say that you have to do this and you have to do that. Some people want dominion over others so they try to take away the one ability that makes us human– choices.

My parents have instilled in me since my birth that it’s always my choice how I act. They have always said to me, “it’s your choice, choose what you think is best”. This has given to me a better outlook on what I do and how it will affect me later on. They have let me grow and learn for myself what I need to know that will get me through life. When I was younger, my parents would instill in me their beliefs and their values. In my religion, many children go to church because it’s what their parents want. It is what is expected of them, and so they do it without questioning or asking why they are really going. For as long as I can remember, I have gone not because I am supposed to but because I want to. It is my choice and I have the power to say no without anybody hounding me and making me do things against my will.

Edgar A. Guest once said that “You are the person who has to decide. Whether you’ll do it or toss it aside; you are the person who makes up your mind. Whether you’ll lead or will linger behind. Whether you’ll try for the goal that’s afar. Or just be contented to stay where you are.” This quote is the foundation of my belief. Everything in life

Is a choice. The history of the world has been shaped by peoples choices weather good or bad our planet is how it s today because of the choices of past generations. If revolutionaries wouldn’t have broken away from England, America wouldn’t be the same country. If Hitler wouldn’t have created genocide, Europe would be a different continent. Everything we do has a direct or indirect affect on more people then we can imagine.

It’s your choice to wake up and get out of bed in the morning. It’s your choice what you will do with the time given to you. My one desire is that I will be able to make the right choices. It’s what my generation as a whole does that will shape the world for the better or worse, and I am part this cycle of choices. I know that it is always my choice. Always.