This I believe

Chrisanna - Louisville, Kentucky

Chrisanna R

Mrs. G

Honors English III

5 May 2008

I love to go to the movies. In fact, it is one of my favorite things to do. Sit back, relax, and watch a good flick with a big coke and a bag of popcorn. Me, well I’m a seventeen year old girl, and my income is limited. Sure I have a job, but have you seen gas prices lately? I have to be careful how I spend my money. Spending $10 on a coke and popcorn at the movies, along with the other $10 I spent on the ticket, sure does add up. How on earth can a movie theater charge $5 for a bag of popped corn? Honestly, I’m sure it cost them way less to make it. The reason they jack up the prices is because they can. They do not let your bring food into the movies so therefore you are forced to buy it there and forced to pay their ridiculous prices. Now me, I am a good kid. I’m not one to lie, cheat, or steal. However, due to outrageous pricings I have become a rebel and began sneaking in food. I grab the biggest purse I have, and shove all sorts of cokes and candies into it. This is not my style. I hate doing it and I really do feel guilty about it, but a girl has got to do what a girl has got to do.

Another downer about the prices being so high is that by the time you get into the theater to watch the movie you have so anxiously anticipated; you have already spent $20. By that time you are thinking…man this popcorn and coke better be good for the $10 I just paid for it. However, by the time you get done thinking about that, you come to realize your friends have already devoured half of your movie snacks. So one might think, since my drink is all gone, I guess I will just go get a refill. WRONG. No free refills at the movies. They fill your cup up completely with ice and then add a little coke in an illusion to make you believe you are getting what you paid for. Then, after you realize not only did you just waste $20, but you also do not get to enjoy any snacks because of your moocher friends, it is impossible to enjoy the movie.

In conclusion movie theaters need to lower prices on everything, especially on concessions. High prices make you burn a hole in your pocket, feel tremendous guilt, and put you in a bad mood so you cannot fully enjoy the movie as you would have hoped for. I believe that movie theaters just need to get real and stop being selfish.