I Believe in perseverance.

Jami - Cheboygan, Michigan

I Believe in Perseverance

I believe in perseverance. “Keep trying,” is something my parents taught me when I was growing up. I have lived by this motto for most of my life. Whether I am at work or school, I remind myself to “keep trying.”

Throughout my life, I have had many obstacles to overcome. While I was in middle school, I played many sports. I was never the best at any of them, but I told myself to “keep trying.” Believing in myself has brought me a long way in life. In junior high school, I played on the cross-country team.

When lining up at the starter’s line, I would remind myself to “keep trying.” I knew that I would not finish first, but that did not matter to me. My parents taught me to play and have fun; first is not always the best. I remember one meet where I fell down and twisted my ankle, “Keep trying,” I told myself. In the end, I placed 22nd out of 260 girls. This is when I started to believe in perseverance. It did not matter to me how good I was. I knew if I believed in myself and kept trying, I would get better.

After my first few weeks in college, I did not think I could do it. “Keep trying,” I told myself. The papers I had to write were like nothing I had done before, but I kept trying. A few days ago, my instructor told me that my writing skills were improving. Although I had to re-write these papers many times, I finally got it. Hearing her say that I was improving made me believe in perseverance a little bit more.

I have had to remind myself to “keep trying” many times throughout my life. While working for the summer at the Dixie saloon, I reminded myself nightly to “keep trying.” Working in a fast-paced environment like the Dixie was stressful. Sometimes I would get so busy that I just wanted to scream. As a hostess, I sat people when they came in for dining. When I got busy and did not know what to do with all the people, I would remind myself to “keep trying.” At the end of the summer, my manager asked me to stay through the winter. I could not do this because of school, but I knew I must have done something right for him to ask me. I believe in perseverance.

Throughout my life, I have kept trying, no matter what happened. Although life has been hard, I made it through so far. If more people believed in perseverance, they would accomplish much more in life. Believing will not work all the time, but if you are persistent, it will help.