Love One Another As I Have Loved You

Teresa - Windsor, Colorado

These words have been attributed to the greatest healer of all time, Jesus of Nazareth. Let us follow his lead and the lead of Mother Teresa. Let us go forth and seek her wisdom. I cannot quote for you her words, for they were few and far between, but I remember what she was known for — her caring acts offered up to her fellow human beings of her chosen community, the slums of Calcutta. Let our lives begin to touch one another with love and ultimately with compassion, with patient hearts and healing souls…. with careful, thoughtful minds not easily deceived by wrongdoers…. with the softest of teaching and parenting words and hands. This I Believe, that if a child knows love and genuine caring in the earliest years of life, no amount of future pain, bullying or abuse can turn that child into a creature of pain and hatred who would terrorize a fellow human being. A child cannot be terrorized if a wellspring of hope and human kindness has been born and protected inside his or her soul and mind. Let us go forth and love our children with all our hearts and America will become a haven for the sons and daughters of liberty whom we were all meant to be. Love your stepchildren, your biological children, your foster children, your children’s children, your neighbor’s children, and the children attending your child’s school. Love the children with special needs and the children in need of special guidance. It is by taking care of our own needs and the unmet needs of the less fortunate members of our communities that we will protect ourselves, our families and our friends from the fallout of pain that drives small and large terrorists to do what they do. In the rooms of our daycare centers, our elementary and secondary schools, our workplaces and stadiums, our municipal buildings and national parks, and, most definitely, in the hidden wards of our psychiatric hospitals and nursing homes, we must come to the aid of our neighbors, our fallen or falling peers, our suffering fellow humans. Only by choosing to stand up for their rights will we walk in freedom from the acts of unrelieved Pain that terrorize our larger world. Only by choosing to walk in freedom from such pain will we retain our humanity and good will toward all people of this Earth. Mothers and Fathers of America will win the war on Terror. In our homes and backyards, in our recovery groups and private therapy sessions, in our self-education about the roots of family violence, we will defend our Nation from community violence and its ripping effects. This I Believe, that the future is bright and my future is secure because I have known love and I still DO love and its place in my soul can never be usurped by abusing terrorists again. This I Believe, that my husband and my daughter and my son and myself will go forth and enjoy Life and appreciate friendship and the brave souls who stood by us in our darkest hours. And to the Doctors who have stood by me through the valley of the Shadow of Death, my thanks. You are my heroes, you are my friends and you have made me whole. I will love other humans as you have loved me. — Dedicated to DJG and DSA of Colorado