The Ultimate Paradise

Abby - Taylorsville, Kentucky

Think of a place where someone has unlimited possibilities, fly on a carpet, meet someone from beyond the grave, anything; A place where no one can tell you no, a place with no consequences. Well that is the one place I wanted to find to escape this thing called my life. But where would I find this place? I looked in friends, the internet, after school activities, everything but I came up short. Then I found something that was always there but something that I always pushed to the side; Books. I found my outlet.

As a child I had everything, a great family, I had everything I could ever ask for. Then reality hit square in the face. I reached the time in my life when my friends learned they didn’t have to be friends with everyone. The time when my mom got sick and a time when I thought that the world was going to end with the separation of my parents. I needed something. I was depressed, let’s just say I ate my feelings. I was put into a container that kept moving in closer and closer.

On the course of one lame day I saw this book I didn’t know what it was or what is was about but I sat and read it. I was lost in it, I became obsessed with reading. I read every book that fell into my lap. They pull me in and slap me in the face till all of my emotions are tied to the book. With every page of an intense novel my stomach churns. Every emotion the main character posses my face will reflect. I cry, get nervous, angry, ardently in love, and extremely happy.

I believe that reading is the best way to escape the world of chaos and enter into one that has the same chaos but it can’t hurt a person. Someone could have the encounter with Mr. Darcy, ride in Edward Cullen’s car, be on the frontline, and fly on a broom with Harry Potter and no one can tell you that you can’t, that you are stupid. You are completely free in the novel. This is the only time that I feel that I am totally by myself; I have an intimate relationship with these characters. I become one. The taste of the sea fills my head, the wind blowing, and the cold of a winter’s day.

Every time that my sisters come up to me and tell me “I’m bored. I have nothing to do.”I tell them to pick up a book. Living in a house filled with a ton of people, I tell my sisters, if she wishes to be by herself to pick up a good book. I have lived through a lot, and books have kept me sane. I stress finding something that you can escape too. I believe that reading a book is the best way to escape the pressures of the chaotic and messed up lives of us humans.