April - Greer, South Carolina
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in forgiveness. I feel that forgiveness is a big part of moving on with your life, and that if one doesn’t learn to forgive they are only bringing themselves down.

At the age of 12, my father left my mother, and later that year he told her that he had had an affair. So, of course she was upset but she wasn’t the only one. After hearing the news, I felt like my Dad had not only betrayed my mother, but had also betrayed me. Every time I saw him all I could think about was, “How could you do that?”, or “Why would you do such a thing?”, and I began to distance myself from him. Even though I felt bad doing this, to me, it seemed like the right thing to do because he had hurt me and I didn’t want to be hurt again. This more I did this , the worse I felt and I could tell that something wasn’t right. So I began talking to my father again and telling him how I was feeling. Most of the things that were bothering me he understood, but others he didn’t, and the more I talked to him the more I began to trust him again. Even though my father has done many hurtful things to my mother, sister, and I; I have learned to forgive him.

In order to overcome the fear of being let down it would take a strong and courageous individual. The power of love helped me to get past this hard time in my life and showed me how strong I could be. Many people are hurt every day, and instead of forgiving the person they hold grudges, but I can honestly say that I’m glad I overcame those fears and forgave my father.

I probably will never know why my father hurt my mother the way he did, but I have forgiven him and moved on with my life. I hope, by my father seeing how I have overcame his mistake, that he can see what a strong daughter he has created. Although, I am still a tender hearted individual, this incident in my past has taught me the life lesson of forgiveness, which, I believe, shaped me into the forgiving person I am today.