I Believe In Memories

Travis - Duncan, South Carolina

I believe in the memories that we made in the past, and the ones we make during the present, should be one of the most cherished things in a person’s lifetime. The memories we make during our life time, whether that life time is short or long, are one of the few things that can’t be taken away from someone which makes them last forever.

The other night, my dad was watcfhing some old video of one of his trips to training camp. The movie was a prime example of what even grown men can do when you put them together and give them a chance to cause trouble. The group of guys, military men I should probably add, was going around taping unfortunate others to their beds while they slept. In one segment, one of my dad’s best friends, Shawn, was babbling on about the next mission of chaos that was to be executed, and the poor sould that would be on the other side of what my dad calls an act of “blowing off steam.” All my dad could say during the somewhat inspiring and slurred speech was, “Gah, I miss him.” You see, this video was one of the many memories we had with the great man Sgt. Shawn Hill. This close friend of not just my dad, but too many, lost his life in the line of duty while serving during his second tour overseas. His death was truly evidence to the saying, “only the good die young.”

The day of Shawn’s funeral, sure there was plenty of mourning, I mean what else is there for a person to do when a close and loved person to you dies, especially one of hero status like this man. One of the things that stick out in my mind though on this day was when my dad and the other men who served with Hill, the guys who deeply loved him because they were practically family, were standing around just talking about the good times. I found it incredible how they weren’t embracing that their comrade was gone, but embraced the memories they had with him when he was living, such as just chilling and having fun after a day of training at camp.

The way I see it, Sgt. Shawn F. H’s funeral wasn’t a mourning of his death, but a celebration of his life. This whole chapter in my life has instilled in me my belief that memories should be one of the most admired things that a person has, simply because they are given, not promised.