Sunny Side Up

Megan - Palisade, Colorado

I believe in making people laugh.

I’ve always been known as a comedian among my friends. Being funny is just a natural thing for me. Whether it was telling a funny-but-true, story, or falling into a trash can, I could always get a laugh out of people. But I never knew what a powerful ability that was until this year, my freshman year at high school.

The first time I realized the power of my belief was in one of my classes. There was this guy whose sole existence seemed to be to make people laugh. Whatever you could think of that makes a person funny, he could do it. Everyone loved to be around him just because they knew they would be laughing a lot. He showed me how rewarding making people laugh was.

I often joke that the way to my heart is through my funny bone, but in a way, that’s true. I just feel naturally drawn to guys who can make me laugh. I’ve asked around, and that seems to hold true with a lot of girls. I find myself falling for guys, like the guy previously mentioned, just because they can make me laugh. They could be totally wrong for me but I’ll still be crazy about them because of that comedic factor.

I earlier said how I love to make my friends laugh, but I never realized how important that really was. One day, a friend of mine was ranting about her dad’s girlfriend, and I could tell she was really mad about her situation. So I made a few jokes about the girlfriend, most of which involved her being eaten by some sort of animal, and I had her laughing so hard you would never have guessed she was having a crappy day. Just a few funny words out of my mouth, and her whole day is better. If that’s not powerful, I don’t know what is.

The way I see it, I can view life the dark way or the funny way. I used to see it the dark way and I can tell you the funny way is the best choice. When I fall into a trash can, yes that actually happened, I had a choice. I could cry about it and feel totally humiliated, which most people naturally do. Instead, I chose to joke about, telling my friends that my first time being chucked into a trashcan was self-done and that this was a whole new kind of stupid.

I believe in making people laugh because it cheers you up in the process. As the song goes, “You will feel know pain as we drive you insane/so stay on the sunny side of life.”