Spur of The Moment

Bobbie Jo - San Marcos, California
Themes: carpe diem

I’ve always believe in the magic of living life with spontaneity. I suppose this is a belief rooted in my annoyance to the often inflexible and schedule obsessed society that we live in. I’m a rather impulsive person. This may sound reckless, but living whimsically has turned out favorably in my life. I believe it has contributed greatly to the happiness I find everyday in my life.

When I have an impulse, unless there is a significant commitment I have already made to something or more importantly someone else, I will begin the steps toward satisfying that impulse.

I was reminded of this belief when I went on a trip to the east coast recently with my mother for a conference she had. We arrived in New York City and immediately felt anxious. There was so much to do and so little time.

I haven’t been on a vacation with family in quite some time, but from what I remember, there were very strict schedules and plans. This time around I asked my mother what the plan was and to my surprise she replied “I don’t know.”

We dropped our belongings off at the hotel and hopped on a double-decker tour bus we had seen on our way into the hotel. After getting an over view of the city on our bus ride, we spent the next 5 days wondering around New York City in what amounted to be one of my fondest memories. One of those days included a quick unplanned train ride to Providence for the night to visit some family friends. My mom ended up spending two hours out of the whole entire week at her conference. The spontaneity that she allowed herself to have, by carrying on all week doing nothing that she actually planned to do, allowed us to have a great time. Never have I been on such a fun family vacation.

I also believe that lacking spontaneity can be stressful. Being able to think and act on the fly when the plans I have fall thorough has been very lucrative.

I wish that everyone only knew the liberation and excitement that occurs when one indulges in acts that are unplanned. I believe being spontaneous is a less stressful way to live life, and from it stems much joy. Being spontaneous means fallowing my heart, my gut and my conscious. I don’t know what I’m going to do next, but I’m trust that it will be great.