I Believe in Live Music

Alexandra - Gladwyne, Pennsylvania

I believe in escaping. I believe in indulgencing myself. I believe in making the most of the limited time we have on this earth. I believe the best way to in do these things is by going to concerts. Live music truly keeps me alive. I caught the live music bug and I don’t want to find a vaccine.

When I was just a year old my parents took me to an Emmylou Harris concert and she held me just long enough for my dad to snap a picture. It now sits in an un-polished, silver frame with the corners turning rustic brown from old age. The black-and-white picture shows a fresh-faced Emmylou holding me and my jet-black hair standing out from her golden curls.

. Because of my parents, I listened to Talking Heads, Shawn Colvin, and the Grateful Dead. Every since I was first in a concert venue with hundreds of screaming fans cheering for the singer, it made me believes in music. It made me believe that the hype and admiration that fans scream for is stronger than any feeling I had even had. More than anger, more than sadness, more than even love.

Today, I am immensely grateful to be growing up in the age of the Internet. Blog sites including Myspace and The Hype Machine allow me to find new and inspiring music on a daily basis. Kate Nash, Kings of Leon, Sigur Ros, and The Virgins have all gotten their start from these outlets, and though their music is all different from each other, they all have one thing in common; the music is real. So many bands have turned their backs on the major labels and simply do what they know best. These are the bands that I seek out to see live in smaller venues. Some of these bands gain so much publicity through these sites that they are invited to some of the most prestigious music festivals including South By Southwest in Austin Texas and Lollapalooza in Grant Park, Chicago.

Standing in the middle on one of the biggest city parks in the nation, surrounded by thousands of bands playing live for three days, I truly felt complete happiness. Watching some of the most passionate bands perform music that they care so much for, those feeling become imposed to me and swept up with the sounds. It’s the feeling that boils in your stomach in anticipation before the curtains open. It’s the feeling of the band striking their first cord and the audience going wild. And it’s the feeling of disappointment and adrenaline mixed together when the encore ends and you don’t want to move from your seat and you can’t talk to your friend next to you because your throat burns so much. These feelings are what get me though a slump in schoolwork or any disappointing news. I make sure that I always have a concert to look forward to in a few weeks because that’s what keeps me alive.

Music is always there. Despite all of the stresses that life can bring, there will always be a button to press or a switch to turn on and let you escape through music.