Friendship as a support group

daniel - coronado, California

This I believe in the power of friendship. Friendship is a family that you choose. My families of friends have seen me at my best to congratulate and celebrate with me. Also my friends have seen me at my worst without casting judgment and supporting me learn from the experiences that placed me at my worst. My friends have been there for me even when we have not seen each other in years.

I lived in Ireland until I was eight years old and have been back every other year since I have moved to America. In 2004 my grandfather was dying from cancer and I flew after finals to meet my family in Ireland to see him in his last days and bury him. My friends Martin and Stephen, who I went to school with in Ireland and have remained in contact with since I have left, dropped everything, took time off work and picked me up from the airport. Not only did they drive out of their way to greet me they both came to support me which showed how they valued my feelings. They both know how close I was to my grandfather and were there to help me through this tough time. They where there on the night that he passed 23rd December 2004, the wake 24th December and also went to the funeral on Christmas day 2004. They took time away from their families during the busy holiday season to spend time with me while I went through my first passing of a relative or friend that I experienced in my life. Even thought I only see Stephen and Martin about once every two years, with phone calls and emails in between, they dropped everything to comfort me. We spent almost every day for two weeks together that holiday season even when they had many things going on in their life.

I believe that their friendship helped me thought this very important moment in my life and I am truly grateful that people other than my family can care so much for another. Without my friends in this situation I believe it would have been very hard to go thought the death of my grandfather. I would have spent it with my uncle and aunts who some have substance abuse problems, and they took me away from this self pity environment and showed me that life goes on. They helped me realize that friend ship can make you reflect upon a bad experience in life and bring something positive out of this bad experience. This was the moment that I realized that friendship meant so much to me. This is why I believe in the power of friendship.