My Belief in Unity

Leah-Jane - louisville, Kentucky

When I leave the house, I don’t give it any thought. You know, get dressed, walk out the door, meet up with everyone. When I am walking down the street, I see so many different, unknown faces. I don’t have any idea what they are all about. I don’t know who they are, what they like to do, what their life is like. By judging someone, I take every right they have of getting a chance to know me. I shut them out.

Judging someone can damage them. It damages me. It takes away my ability to make a lifetime friend. It could decide between happiness and a lonely weekend. Do you want to sit alone on the weekends? I don’t. When I judge someone, I’m making that decision for myself. I’m deciding to leave someone out, and have a lonely weekend.

The feeling I get when someone judges me, and I overhear it, is unbearable. I believe if we would give everyone a chance, this world could possibly be a bit more peaceful. Given, I’m not saying it will grant world peace, but maybe peace between groups of friends, which is a start. Many groups and “clicks” today have controversy with each other over nothing. A wrong look, a misunderstood statement, they can all go a long way. They can start hatefulness and bitter words.

Next time I hang out with friends, and I see a few people I’ve never met, I won’t shut them out. Whether I like how they dress, talk, or not, it won’t matter. Making friends could be so much easier this way. Going places without tension from people we don’t like because we saw them that one time with that one guy. None of it would matter if we stopped and looked past all of that. The inside of a person is what counts the most, and if I take the time to get to know that person, I could find out those questions of who they are, what their life is like, and what they like to do.