keith - San Diego, California

There are two things in my life that I am always going to be seriously passionate about. These two things are soccer and music, more specifically, playing soccer and singing. Unfortunately, I am not able to play soccer anymore like I used to due to an injury that could have been completely avoided. That fact right there might be the reason it’s so hard for me to cope with the loss of soccer, I do not think I will ever completely get over it. Thankfully though I had another passion to focus on when I lost soccer.

Music and singing has been in my family for generations and has changed my life in many ways. It has given me opportunities to earn money and hopefully one day will be my career. Passion I believe is passed down through up bringing and is at the base of life itself, genes. I have been classically trained in opera for about 5 years now and found out for the first time a month ago that my great great Grandmother composed opera’s in her life. Passion I believe is at the base of life and it defines life

Passion gives life meaning and excitement. Without a passion, life would be dull and uneventful, completely unbearable. I can not imagine what my life would have been like if I didn’t have a passion for something. The passion that I had led me to dream and fantasize and it also helped encourage me to grow in many aspects including physically and culturally. Without a passion for something life could only be repetitive. Imagine a life with nothing to look forward to after a hard day at work or school. Imagine a life with nothing to day dream about. That is a life without passion. It’s boring.

I believe that life today is becoming less passionate and less meaningful as a consequence. The amount of time put into enjoying life and doing things for the self has severely diminished, and instead that time is being used to watch raunchy television shows that gossip about the latest celebrity, (Which by the way is now being considered, by the people who watch those shows, an education?) And slave over a 10 hour work day. The older generations, I don’t think have a lack of passion but I am afraid to see where life will be in twenty or thirty years. It doesn’t look bright to me.