From an Atheists Perspective

Emily - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Themes: atheism

Having paid for Catholic education for 13 years, my parents were not terribly pleased when they discovered that their daughter was an atheist. I tried to explain to them that it was not out of disrespect, and that they needn’t pray for my soul, but I think that my mother does anyway.

It was not until later that I began to realize that I was a minority – 80 some percent of the US population beleives in some sort of higher being. Having been a philosophy major in college, most of my classmates shared my beliefs, but once I ventured out into society, I came to realize that I was very nearly alone in this belief. Most people’s knee-jerk response is that I am either a nihilist or a satanist. The truth is, I do believe in many things that can be considered Judeo-Christian, and Satan is not one of them.

I believe in doing unto others as you would have done, in loving one another, in coexisting peacefully. I believe in living life to its fullest, and doing the best that you can while you are here. All are Christain ideals.

Einstein said that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. I believe that when we die, we are dispersed throughout the universe – the universe to which we are atomically connected.

While we are here, we have a responsiblity to the earth and each other, to which we are chemically and biologically connected, respectively.

I am not a scientologist, I adhere to no particular creed. But I am not a bad person because I do not believe in a supreme power. And yet, in this country, where we are “one nation under god”, I feel like a minority, scrutinized for what I DON’T believe in.

I have three young chidren, and I will not impose my atheism upon them. They are free thinkers, and should be able to make up their own minds about something as important and as personal as a belief in god.

I love my country, I love people. I am living as an atheist in this beautiful, vast, god-fearing land.