I BELIEVE IN THE PRESENT.

Cassandra - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the present. Happiness comes from within you on every day, at every moment. Of course, there is a season for everything, and there is always something to learn from our past, and we should never miss out on the big picture…but that does not mean we have to forsake our current comforts and daily adventures! There are a lot of happy people in this world, but the truly happy people are the ones that can stop right now and say they love who they are because of what they are doing.

The other day I was taking my open book geography final, inevitably I began to daydream, and I started to wonder if rechecking my answers was really worth my time. The professor had given us a three hour block to complete the long exam; I was just pushing one hour and fifteen minutes in that stuffy lecture hall. I cut back on those thoughts reminding myself that, in a few years when I graduated, it would not matter if I spent the whole day doing that one exam; it would all be worth it. I pressed onward, for about another five minutes.

That is when I came to the realization that I loved who I was at that exact moment and that I would never ever condemn anyone I loved into that germ infested classroom with three hundred other drones, and especially not for three hours! I put my stamp on each section that had been distributed at the beginning of the block and marched them down to the return box.

As I stepped out the door into the glorious sun I made sure to appreciate every one of spring’s last blossoms with whom I passed on my way to an early lunch.