The Importance of Family Bonds

Melina - San Diego, California

Family Bonds

I expect to live a long life, but sometimes I think to myself, will I really be living as long as I think I will, I mean it’s hard to really know when your time will come. That’s why I think everyone around me should be cherished, and that’s what I am trying to do, I would like to be closer to my family because I feel that I am too distant from them sometimes.

I didn’t start thinking about this until recently when my uncle passed away, and I began to think about how little I really knew him, I mean I had talked to him several times before but I guess not enough to my standards of actually knowing someone. I first began to think about this when I was at his wake, I was sitting there watching the nuns praying for him, and I started to think about the times that I had spoken to him or had been around him and I could not think of many. I then started to look around the room at the other members of my family and I realized that I either did not know many of them or rarely ever spoke to them. I thought to myself, wow I am an awful person, I have purposely gone farther away from my family. Mostly everyone in my family tends to be close, and well I guess since they liked to be close; I guess I had pushed myself away.

I started walking around the funeral home and I saw that there was another person that was also having their wake, so I read the information book they had for him, and it said that he was 22 years old. I thought he was very young to have died, and it just shows that death can hit at any age, my uncle was 66 years old when he died and here was this other person that was 22, he was 44 years younger than my uncle.

That night I thought a lot about my family and decided that I would make an effort to know my family better. A few days later after I was at the funeral home, I received movie tickets to a movie premier from my job. I thought about who to invite, so I decided to invite my cousin, to whom I was very close to when I was younger, but had grown apart from.

When I called her she seemed very surprised, she even asked if I was inviting her to go with me, and I told her that it was going to be with me. That night when we went, I had so much fun with her that I had forgotten how much fun family can be. I believe that it is important to maintain a close relationship with my family.