This I Believe–Keeping Things In Perspective

Rebecca - Mount Sterling, Kentucky

I believe you have to keep things in perspective.

When most kids have nightmares, they are about monsters or showing up to school with no pants on. I, on the other hand, once had a dream that I died, and the worst part of the dream was that I didn’t know if the school would give me straight A’s at the end of the year. That’s pretty warped, right? It didn’t occur to me until later that perhaps grades no longer matter when you’re dead. School was so important to me that it crept into my sleeping thoughts and would haunt me even in death.

Fast-forward a few years. You will still see a girl who cares about her schoolwork, but not to the same extent. My perspective on life and what’s important is different. You see, my mom has breast cancer now. That changes things. Maybe grades aren’t that important after all. Maybe they are just letters on a page. A. A. A. I just gave myself three A’s theoretically. A. A. There, let’s make it five. The point is, there is more to life than grades. I’m not going to tell my teary-eyed mother that I can’t take time to comfort her because I have a paper due tomorrow. “Sorry, Mom, no time. This paper is worth 50 points.” No way. The same applies to work and money. It is worth so little in the end.

What matters in life is how we treat the people in it. School, work, and money have their place, but they shouldn’t come before the needs of family and friends. And they shouldn’t haunt you at night.