I Believe In Family

Maria - Henrietta, Missouri

I believe in family; not just a group of people who live together that just happen to be related, but a real family. My family knows what is going on with everybody at any given time. We kept in touch with each other very well. My family knows immediately when something goes wrong and is there to help in the next instance. My family is one that you can really belong to. It is one where you know you are needed and cared for.

My family is always there for its members. My grandparents opened up their home to my mom, my sisters, and me when we were escaping my abusive father, even though they only had a six foot by eight foot room to spare. We stayed there, sleeping in that room for over a year.

My family makes sure its members feel welcome. My family has always eaten at the table together. I have been to houses where they did not. There is a lack of a sense of unity there. At my house, there is always enough food and enough room around the table for anyone that might drop by, even if they were not family. Eating around the table together also gives you a place, a space only for you. I sit to the left of my grandpa, across for my grandma, and to the right of my sister, Katelyn.

My family has very close bonds. My sisters come down to stay with me every weekend. We play games together and I read to them, sometimes. We don’t leave each other without saying I love you at least once. When we go to bed at my house, my oldest youngest sister sleeps on my twin bed while the younger two sleep on a pallet on the floor with me.

My family is always curious about what is going on with its members. Everyone in my family asks each other how they have been doing when they see each other. My grandma, grandpa, uncles, cousins, and sisters ask me how I am doing in school every time they think about it.

Most importantly, my family never lets a member leave alone, no matter how hard it is. In this past year, four of my beloved family members have past away. Every single one was received into the hands of God with family by their side.

In closing, a close family is beneficial to the heart, mind, and soul and that is why I believe in it. When you feel like you belong, that people care, and that you have somewhere to run to if something goes wrong, you are much stronger as a person and you have the ability to endure much more, making you own self stronger. If you know that when it comes time to leave the earthly realm, you are not going to be alone, you are comforted. My family is the reason that I am strong and level-headed. I owe my family everything.