Withouy My Family, Where Would I Be?

Jason - San Diego, California

Without my family, I have nothing. This is my core belief. My parents divorced when I was only four years old, I thought that my family was ruined. Since then, I have come to understand that the divorce actually saved my family from being torn apart. We probably are asking, how is this possible? I believe that intense arguing between a mother and a father in the home is setting the worst example for their children. My parents stopped talking to each other, but the fighting stopped as well. My dad moved out of the house but was still a very supportive father. He graciously gave my mother child support every month for both my brother and I. He never abandoned us. He knew that even though we were not living together, he needed to be the best father he could. My mother was the same way. They both knew that they could not stop being involved in our lives. My brother and I, three years apart, grew up fighting and causing a ruckus in our home, driving my mother crazy. Now that we are older and more mature, I do not know how my mom put up with both of us. She knew that the only thing keeping us together was the love that she had for our family. My mother had total trust in my brother and I which led us to be the independent men that we are today.

Families grow together and work together to support each other. I believe that one who does not have a solid father or mother figure will have harder life experiences. Family is the support system within all our lives. Who else do you turn to when you have the most serious of problems? My mother and father, although separated, instilled the core values in me that I need to be successful. I can not leave out grandparents. My grandparents, on both my mother’s and father’s side, were very helpful in raising my brother and me. My mother, who struggled to pay bills, was highly supported financially and my Nana and Poppy, who are the ones who started the college funds for both my brother and I. Without them I would not be in college.

I am so grateful for my family. Even though my parents are divorced, I am proud to say that my mother and father raised me right. I thank my brother who was there for me more than I give him credit. Family to me is a core belief and without my family I would not be where I am today.