It’s Fate.

Candyce - San Diego, California

I am a firm believer in fate. As a child, I was sent to a Christian school. We were taught that all things are predisposed and decided by God, and even when I was too young to really know any better, I felt there was something more. Ethics and being a good student were instilled in me at a very young age, and for that I am eternally grateful. In my final year of middle school, however, I decided I wanted to go to public school. There was no particular reason, I just felt compelled to go. So, much to my parents’ financial relief, I entered the real world.

Public school was definitely different than private school. I thought I would be ahead in terms of academics, but I soon discovered that there was more to be learned than about the book of Leviticus and how to conform a non-believer. I was introduced to freedom of thought. Once I began thinking for myself, I realized that my ideals didn’t exactly line up with that of a Christian.

I learned quite a few important things my first year in public school. Math and science were imperative to surviving the rest of my educational career. Social skills are necessary to get you through those tough classes, and the trying times you face as an adolescent. Boys existed, and I liked them. The most important thing I discovered, however, was the ability to think for myself. I believe that I was supposed to attend a Christian school in my youth to infuse great morals and good study skills. I also believe that I made the decision to get out of the private school circuit because I knew I didn’t buy into it, I believed in something else, I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Fate took me through two entirely different educations, not a higher being.

Fate has always been at the core of my belief system, I just didn’t know it until I could think for myself and figure it out. I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason, karma does exist, and we decide our fates, not some omnipotent mortal. I’m perpetually thankful for both the private and public school systems for helping me come to the conclusion that I believe in my own belief system, that I believe in fate.