Mammaw’s Love

Emily - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: love

I believe in a Grandmother’s love. There is nothing else quite like it. In her eyes you are a perfect little angel and could never do any wrong, no matter what she just saw you do. Even if she sees you “with your hand in the cookie jar”, you were not the one that “stole the missing cookies”. I think that this is something that every person should get to experience in life, that one person that loves you and sees you in that pure way no matter what you have done that is so un-pure.

I have thankfully been blessed with the chance to experience the love of my own grandmother (known as Mammaw to my family) who has been more like a mother to me in some ways. When I was a little kid, my brother and I would go to my mammaw’s house during the day while my mom went to work. After I became old enough to go to school, she would pick me up after everyday and I would go to her house until my mom got off work. I was so close to her and around her so much sometimes I would mistakenly call her mom. Her house was my favorite place in the world, it was a never ending sanctuary of fun. No matter how big of a brat I was being (which I definitely was and sometimes still am) my mammaw would greet me with that warm, loving smile and use that sweet voice that no one else besides a grandmother would use with a snotty little kid. In her eyes, I was and will always be a sweet, good, “perfect“ little girl.

This is something you will find no where else, not even with your parents. Of course parents love you unconditionally too, but they see the wrong you do and realize if you’re not such a good girl. I wish that everyone had the chance to experience such an amazing relationship as I have. It’s so nice to be able to go somewhere where you are seen as innocent, and are always given that benefit of the doubt that most people in this world seem to forget about. I believe that her loving me, being there to listen, spending time with me, and being one of my best friends has shaped the young woman that I have become. I believe that this is the purest love you will ever find in life and I believe that you should cherish it while your grandparent is still with you on Earth. I believe that all of us that are lucky enough to have been able to meet our grandparents should realize how truly blessed we have been. A grandmother’s love is one of the most treasured things in life and something that cannot be replaced. This I believe.