Life Can Be an Everlasting Dream

Rachel - Louisville, Kentucky

There are some beliefs I have that I am constantly unsure of, but there is one belief I am sure of. It is this, as Henry David Thoreau so eloquently puts it, “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined”. I have a very vivid imagination when it comes to my future plans. I make lists, budgets, floor plans, and Google up a storm when it comes to planning my future life. I am ambitious and determined to live the life I dreamed of. I want to change the world, see the world, and live around the world. The layout of my future plans might change constantly but I never settle for the ordinary, only the simply extraordinary. I have always wanted to live a life full of adventure, exotic surroundings, and wonderful people. In shorter terms, I want a fulfilling life. As I grow up and learn more about the world, my plans change to something better each time.

Plenty of people have told me that my dreams won’t happen. They say, “It’s too hard to move to a new country”, “You won’t like it there”, “You can’t afford it”, “You won’t survive”, but it never stops me from dreaming big. My dreams might be hard to accomplish but they are not impossible. Who says a wonderful life is going to be easy? The best things in life are worth fighting for. They are worth fighting tooth and nail for.

Other people who do happen believe in my dreams say I should stop thinking so far ahead, they say I am too young to be thinking about it. Yes, I am young, but me being at this age is the best time in my life to start planning ahead. It’s always important to live in the moment, but the actions in the present affect your future; I want my present actions to lead the way to my future dreams. It surprises some people how detailed I am when thinking of my future but I love to plan, and I love to dream. As a Pisces, that’s what I do. For some people intense planning is not their thing, but for me it’s something I enjoy, something that keeps me excited and happy when I feel down.

To me, dreaming is a necessity to life, something that keeps me pushing forward. My dreams might be big now, but with time and little steps forward, I can make my dreams happen. It is said that, “Dreams pass into the reality of action. From the actions stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living.” I might be an optimist, but I keep my feet on the ground and I reach for the stars.