The Ones Who Matter Most

George - Chula Vista, California

I believe that family and friends are an important aspect to living a happy and healthy life. They show me their love, support, and guidance. They are there for me when I make important decisions that affect my life. In my sophomore year in college I got myself into the biggest pickle that could have possibly ended my academic career, but with the love and support of my family and friends I was able to pick myself up and move forward.

I wasn’t always the best student or the most motivate to finish school. I was always lazy but some how managed to make it to college. In college I became fed up with my classes for no apparent reason. I had stopped doing homework and stopped studying, instead I would just work and party. I had basically lost total interest in my priorities. When my grades came out at the end of the semester my parents were furious, but I just brushed them off. However, they never gave up on trying to get through to me. Beyond the arguing and fighting I knew they only wanted the best for me and wanted me to finish school, but as stubborn as I had become I just stopped listening.

Finally, my parents went to my friends. My friends and I had all been hanging out when they confronted me about my situation. I was shocked at first and tried to get upset, but I was just embarrassed. I felt that if my friends needed to talk to me about this, then it was a serious situation that couldn’t be over looked. I was given tons of reasons why I should straighten up, focus on school and stop arguing with my parents. I was ashamed at how selfish I had been. My parents had always given me everything I ever needed to make something of my life and I almost pissed it all away in one semester. Later that day I went home and had a long talk with my parents and apologized for the way I had been acting. I expected them to still be upset about the whole situation, but they were just glad I had come to my senses.

The following semester I was knee deep in academic probation. The damage was done and all I could do was move forward. With the love and support of my family and friends I went to tutoring, I became better acquainted with my teachers, and made sure I didn’t miss a class. By the end of the semester I had brought up my GPA and I was off academic probation. When I look back at that episode in my life I’m just grateful that my parents didn’t give up on me and that my friends where there to help me along the way.