Surviving Life

Anonymous - del mar, California

Mental sweat, I believe is the most defining characteristic I own. It is the one characteristic that separates myself from my family and my peers. Mental sweat is the ultimate tool for motivation. It is the tool that forces me to live my life unlike so many others. It is the tool that pushes me across an obstacle that was once unreachable. Mental sweat, more commonly known as willpower, is, to me, a choice; a choice to tear apart what once limited me.

I have not always understood the idea of mental sweat. Life as a child was not easy. Slightly overweight and not having an interest in learning put myself in many bad situations, as well as being a complete and utter mockery to my peers. The effects of being verbally insulted on a daily basis are still very much present in my life 15 years later.

As a child I was the definition of the phrase “ignorance is bliss”. Now I don’t see my childhood as a failure. I see it as a long steep stairway that I had to fight to climb. I fought that stairway behind a fake smile and friends who turned out to be nothing more then part of the problem.

The stairs are not so steep anymore. Somewhere along the way life clicked. There was no sudden revelation, just the series of dysfunctional events that filled my childhood. A thirst for knowledge and a desire to better my body took over my life. I decided that when I die, it would not be due to a reason I can control. This is where mental sweat comes into play. Mental sweat gives me the ability to deny a craving in the name of nutrition. Mental sweat gives me the ability to study for hours upon hours in the name of education. Mental sweat gives me the ability to stretch my mind and my body to the max and yet continue to push forth. Mental sweat is the foundation for who I am, what I do, why I do it and what I gain from it. My life as a child shaped this personal philosophy of mine.

What I gain most from mental sweat is simplicity. It has evolved into a daily routine. A very strict routine that is at times painful, but simple and none-the-less, that is what makes it worthwhile. My life improved into what it is now and it only did so when I put forth the effort. What I want to be clear is that life is a treasure and it is meant to be hard. How I overcame the hardships is what makes my life enjoyable. Skip out on the elevator, the stairs are more rewarding.