One Word: Makeup

Alexandra - Louisville, Kentucky

Have you ever had someone tell you that you need to do something in order to be accepted? Unfortunately, I think most of us have had that experience at least once. And what makes it even more unfortunate is when it’s a close friend who tells you. I can honestly say that I had that happen to me not even a week ago. The friend I was with is about four years younger than I am, but we’ve been close ever since we met eight years ago. But during the past year I’ve noticed a change in her. Sure, she’s still the spunky girl I’ve always known, but lately she’s been more concerned with her looks than anything else. The other day my friend and I had our nails done and we were waiting for them to dry, when she suddenly leaned over towards me, looked me around my eyes, then recoiled and asked “are you wearing any make up”? Naturally I was taken a little aback by her question, then recovered and replied “no, I’m not wearing any makeup, why”. Now what got me was her response. She just shook her head disappointedly and said three words, “shame on you”. After she said that all I could think was “how shallow can someone get before they start looking down on someone else because of what they choose not to do”. I did not respond to her comment. I instead shook it off and turned my head, because I know I don’t need makeup decorating my face to make me beautiful. The only thing that hurt me was that she thinks I do. I remember when I was in the fifth grade and we were assigned to choose and write about a person who we would want to be. Almost all of the kids in my class choose movie stars or singers, but I chose my friend. Now, I wish that I could do that assignment over because I know exactly who I would choose. Myself. I’m happy with being just me, and I don’t plan on changing that any time soon. I figured that out during my freshman year. I know the true blue beauty comes from the inside, and no one will ever stop that. When I’ve said that before, I’ve actually have people laugh at me. That is why my personal motto is “you laugh at me because I’m different, but I laugh at you because you’re all the same”. We might change our beliefs a few times during our lives, but that is the one thing I will always believe in.