The Society of Consumers

Korryn - Flower Mound, Texas

I believe that American Society is a society of consumers.

We all have that one thing we want, that new car, those shoes that “breath”. Ads on TV have us working for the wrong reasons. We don’t need that new laptop. We don’t HAVE to have the designer cloths. But we still we wake up in the morning, get ready and go to work so that we can buy those things. Those things we don’t need, we take out loans and we apply for credit. Credit can’t help us. We don’t need that little plastic devil, yet we still have them. Why is this?

I believe being a consumer will never make you happy.

Its because we have chosen… CHOSEN… to work for the wrong reasons. To strive for that perfect home. You know the house with the plasma TV hanging on the wall next to the big fireplace with the obscure painting by whoever hanging above it. The hardwood floors leading down the hall past 3 bedrooms and a bathroom into the large spacious kitchen with an island in the middle, the Kershaw Kitchen Shears, the Shun Knives, the blue glass ware with tiny bubbles and imperfections all the little things you will unbox… set on the counter… and maybe use once. Thats what America is heading toward. A bunch of mindless slaves working jobs they hate just to buy things they don’t need.

Instead should we be working hard on things that really matter?

Murder, crime, poverty, these things don’t concern me. What concerns me is pregnancy, aids, and STDS growing in the teenage community, what concerns me are all the people who die every year in drunk driving accidents, what concerns me are all the people who suffer and die from cancer, what concerns me is suicidal kids that never experienced salvation from that depression. But what concerns me the most is that there are all these things that we could be working harder to make better. The percentage of 9th through 12th graders who have had sexual intercourse has juggled between 45% and 55% for the past 15 years. The 13,470 alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities in 2006 were almost the same as compared to 13,451 alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities reported in 1996. Ten years of progress. I see a problem.

Im a teenager surrounded by genius.

I sit in class and look around. I see people, but not just people, smart people. I know that if we decided to change our views, if we started to work for something other then material possession, we could bring about change. We have no purpose, we have no great war, we have no great depression. We only have our “Nike’s”, our “Hollister” polo’s, our “Sony” TV’s, our name brand stuff, and… we have our lives. Shouldn’t that life be put into something with more meaning? I know that not one of us can find a cure for cancer, not one of us can find a solution to gas problems, not one of us can come up with a way to help the statistics. But together we have hope, and shouldn’t that be all we need? Hope. Hope for a better future, hope for a better self, hope for a better society? Looking around at my peers and all there genius, there is only one thing i can say.

I believe there is hope in our future and the future of generations to come.

This I Believe.