I Alone Control The Mets Fate

George - Glen Allen, Virginia

I am a pathetic, pessimistic, paranoid but patriotic New York Mets fan. This leads me to believe that I alone control the Mets fate. I have shirts, jerseys, hats and even wristbands to help control their fate. This all helps feed into my superstitious ways. If they win I must rep my team by wearing a shirt whether during the day or while I sleep. If they lose, then it is a different story. I remember the ’06 National League Championship Series and the horrific Mets’ collapse last year.

I have a closet full of Mets shirts and jerseys. The shirts are more for casual wear. They are just to rep my team. The jerseys have more value. The players on the jerseys have to be all-stars such as Santana and Wright or a legend like Carter. There are only certain times where jerseys can be worn. The Mets have to be playing a rival or a playoff game. But me being a Mets fan goes a little bit further. I made a shirt online featuring the man himself… Bill Buckner. It has a picture of the ball going through his legs in the 1986 World Series and the famous quote by the commentator Vin Scully.

What I am getting at with this is that other than having many evident problems, I am insanely superstitious. When the Mets play I have to be wearing a shirt or jersey at least thirty minutes prior to the first pitch. Once the game starts everything else in the world disappears and I turn into a horrible monster… a pathetic, pessimistic, paranoid, but patriotic Mets fan. I can’t leave the chair with fear of losing the game. When I do this the Mets win the game…some of the time. I believe in superstitions, but I would recommend them to anyone because it just leads to pain and suffering.

The Mets in 2006 were the “team”. I had confidence that for once what I was doing was actually working. Then the St. Louis Cardinals showed up. We were ONE game away from the World Series. Endy Chavez made, at the time, what every Met fan thought was the game saving catch ,but also the most amazing catch ever. All of a sudden. I was lying in front of the TV in complete disbelief and tears in my eyes as if something I did cost the Mets their glory. Then at the start of the 2007 season I felt confident that we would play with a chip on our shoulder and dominate the season. Well we did… until September. We started to lose game after game after game. Everyday I wore a Mets shirt whether during the day or at night. I did this for the rest of the season. But again on the last day of the season with a chance to make the playoffs and salvage the collapse I found myself in front of the TV in disbelief, with no answer for what I just witnessed and yes tears in my eyes.

I am still for some reason committed to my system because I am a pathetic, pessimistic, paranoid, but patriotic Mets fan.