Through the Door of Music

Jessica - Moore, South Carolina

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. ~Victor Hugo

I believe that music is the most powerful thing in the world.

I also believe music is set in stone. No one can change it, and no one can destroy it. It will bring you up if you’re down; it can even mend a broken heart. Music is the cure-all for almost anything.

My life, from the day I was born, has been centered on music. It started with my father; his music collection spanned from hundreds of pieces of sheet music, to thousands of CD’s, records, and 45’s. My oldest sister started playing the piano when she was in second grade. When my other sister started playing, it inspired me. I always wanted to be just like my big sisters. In first grade, I learned my first song on the piano, and I was absolutely ecstatic!

From then on, my love for music grew. It was around my fourth grade year in school that I learned that music was like the portal to my heart and soul. I was about nine years old. I remember sitting on the couch at home, listening to my father play the piano in the other room. I decided right then and there that I wanted a life filled with music. The music was the door, and all I needed was to unlock it. I learned everything that I could about music, and that knowledge became my key. I unlocked that door, and through the years, my life became completely focused on music. I found myself sitting for hours in my room listening to the radio, or some CD. I could hear a song, and immediately relate to it. It would always make me feel better, because I could think, “Now I know that someone else has gone through this and knows what I’m feeling.” I was able to let my emotions come out, and my friends and family started to see the real me.

I have always been able to express myself through music. I know many other people have, and that is a good thing. Music can help people know and get along with each other better, because it is something that everyone understands. Music is a universal language. All cultures create music and universally understand it. Music is more than just words and a catchy tune. People who feel that music isn’t important just haven’t unlocked that door yet. Music is powerful; it can tell others what one person is feeling, even if he or she won’t say it out loud.

Music is the doorway to the soul. This I believe.