To Live is to Love and Laugh Everyday

Libby - Poway, California
Themes: family, illness, love

I was awoken by the faint noises of drills and metal tools, trying to evaluate my surroundings and acknowledge those who greeted me when my eyes opened. Only noticing I was strapped down to the hospital bed, with pressure from the halo bolts distracting my wandering eyes. Multiple nurses and the miracle worker himself, who was determined to hide the spasms and pain that had taken away the last five years of my life, ensured my faith that everything was going to be ok. The realization of a better lifestyle and the dream of accomplishing my goals and aspirations that I never dreamed about, was finally coming true.

I was diagnosed with an involuntary muscle disorder towards the end of eighth grade. My love for life and uncontrollable smiling hid the actuality of the discomfort and confusion of what was happening to my body. Leaving many confused with my incredible acceptance of distortion and happiness, I knew giving up wasn’t an option.

The struggle of finding the best doctor and healthcare was oblivious to classmates and acquaintances. The goals I set for myself and the accomplishments I had already completed took my mind off the millions of doctor’s appointments I was going to outside of school.

The constant staring and comments were unnoticed until high school, where laughter and best friends kept me occupied. The constant reminder about this physical monster slowly taking over my body and the evil looks of strangers was convincing enough for anyone to give up on their dreams and forget about the joyous blessings of everyday life. Maintaining a positive outlook and love for life’s simplicity and daily blessings, I was determined to make the most of what I was given each new day.

The day my mother came home with the news of brain surgery, was the day my life completely changed.

As I rolled away from my mom and dad, the tears running down all of our faces was enough to water the plants in the waiting room. The anticipation of this day consumed the entirety of my thoughts and actions. In and out of anesthesia for eight hours, made for a memorable experience and a great story to share to those looking for the meaning of life. The love of a strong mom and her desire to fight for what she knew her only daughter could be is a love that is indescribable.

I love and laugh everyday and with that, I know all possibilities of achieving what I set fourth that day will come true. With or without the opportunity of brain surgery, the ability to hold in laughter and love would have and still is impossible.