Fate

Jennifer - El Cajon, California
Themes: family, purpose

Everything happens for a reason. I truly believe that for every instance that occurs there is a purpose behind it. For many things this seems clear. Each day the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. However, there are many things in life that are unclear; that may appear unfair and without explanation. I believe that these are life’s little miracles.

Since I can remember it was always my mother and I. We were best friends, and each other’s support system. When I was sixteen my mother decided to adopt my two younger sisters. It was hard to adjust, but God had sent us our perfect fit to complete our family. Two weeks later my mother became extremely ill. She began screaming in pain. I remember feeling so helpless and alone. As I rushed her to the hospital every thought went through my mind. Where was my father when I needed him, what was going to happen to my mother, and how would I take care of my sisters? As I sat beside my mother in the emergency room doctors paced back and forth helping other patients. After what seemed like days it was revealed that my mother had a compressed disc in her neck. She would have to spend a few weeks in the hospital with several different possible treatments. With no known cause for her injury I remember feeling so scared and angry. I had just started my first job, my sisters and I had school, and we were far off from being a wealthy family. Why was this happening to us? Why now?

I grew up a lot over those few weeks. I decided to put my job on hold and focus on our schooling and taking care of my mom. A week after my mom was released from the hospital she received a phone call from her doctor. While running the earlier tests they discovered a small tumor in her brain. He claimed it could be easily removed without serious surgery. He said it was a miracle it was discovered so early before it lead to serious complications.

When I look back I thank God for that day. At the time what seemed so unbearable was only a fraction of what my family could have endured. I no longer question why things happen or what is going to come. I believe that with every life lost another is reborn, every wound heals, and with every burden carried I learn and grow. I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe in fate.