Learning What I deserve

Jaclyn - Arlington, Texas
Themes: family, love

As I sit in the back seat while I ride to dinner with my family, I glance up to the front where my dad sits driving and my mom is his passenger, and in between their hands are intertwined. This is not an abnormal sight for me to see, for as long as I can remember they have always held hands in the car, and on occasion at a red light they will kiss.

Not only does my dad always hold her hand, but he also opens every door for her no matter if it’s car, house or restaurant. When we are out and about he never eats or drinks anything until she has been served. When we are at home he graces her with a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of wine at night. Also every day he strokes her face and tells her how beautiful she is, and he never leaves the house without kissing her goodbye.

These are just some of the things he does to show the world she is his queen. From the examples my dad sets I have been shown over the years how I deserve to be treated as a woman. Now that I am out in the dating world it is important for me to remember what I believe in, and I believe I deserve to be treated like a queen.

I believe that on a date it is nice of the man to pay for the meal.

I believe my hand should never have to touch a door, and my chair should be pulled out for me.

I believe I need to have standards in order not to be walked on or abused.

These are a few simple things I believe about my dating life; however, I have my own personal struggle going on inside of me between my inner feminist and my inner little girl. The feminist side knows I am equal to a man, she knows I can open my own door, pull out my own chair, and pay for my half of dinner. However, the little girl who believes in fairy tales knows that when a man loves a woman he will want to do all those things for her with no hesitation.

Now with that in mind I am forced to try and balance my two sides while remembering what I believe and that is that I deserve to be treated like a queen.