Mother May I? Mother Should I?

Rory - san diego, California

I believe that I do not always know what is best for me.

Growing up, we all struggle to assert our independence from our parents and prove that we do not need them to assist and/or influence our lives. I was a particularly rebellious adolescent, steadfastly refusing to allow my parents to make or influence any decision of mine. I believed that, despite the “wisdom” or knowledge they possessed over me from age, I truly knew what was best for me, and that my decisions were the best possible. Even when my decisions caused me to fail in some way, I still believed that I was better off having failed by my own right.

It was not until I was presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity that I began to comprehend that it was possible that sometimes, even I might be wrong. I met a young woman through a mutual friend who was in charge of the internship program in Washington, DC for U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein. As a political science major and self proclaimed “political genius”, I was extremely interested, and got her information. She informed me that if I was willing, I could come out and work for the Senator in Washington over the summer. Naturally, I was excited and told my parents, who were more excited than I was, about my opportunity. As the days passed so too did my enthusiasm, as my opportunity took a back burner to my hedonistic “frat boy” lifestyle.

But although I may have put off my chance, it was apparently in the foreground of my Mother’s every waking thought. I could not call home for ten seconds without the question of “Have you heard anything about your internship?” Darwin-like adaptation had left me used to my Mother’s gentle pandering, but this was different. I could tell that she truly wanted me to achieve this honor and I began contemplating. Even though I did not want to take the time to contact the necessary people and apply, I trusted my mother’s guidance and felt in a sense that I would “do it for her”. And do it I did. It turned out to be one of the greatest experiences of my life in every way, and opened my life up to countless possibilities. For 3 months I lived and worked in Washington, DC in the Capitol building for Senator Dianne Feinstein. I learned more things about the world and myself in these three months alone, 3000 miles from home, than I had in my previous 20 years of life. But with all the things I learned over that summer, the most important thing that I learned out of all of it was that sometimes our mother’s truly do know best, and that I do not always know what is best for me.