I Believe In Music

Kevin - Dyer, Indiana

I believe in music. I believe in its power to heal. Its ability to make even the most gargantuan problems and worries disappear from the mind. I believe music is the key to soothing the soul.

Music is my everything. It is there when I’m in the best of moods and there when I’m in the dumps. Music will never leave me. It is unconditional. It isn’t like fair-weather friends or girlfriends and boyfriends that tend to stick around during the calm, but scatter once a storm arises. Music is always there. Period.

When I began playing guitar at the tender age of twelve, I had no precognition that I would stick with it let alone strive to make it my profession. Along the way of music, or Via Musicom as guitarist Eric Johnson would put it, I found my niche; my place in life. Throughout my six years and three months of studying music and honing my skills on the guitar I’ve come to the realization that there is nothing else for me, nothing greater to do with my life. Sure there may be a plethora of other professions that would allow me to accrue a vastly greater wealth, but I just would not be able to find the same satisfaction and happiness.

Besides penetrating my soul and shaping who I am, music penetrates almost every aspect of our lives. It is the window to the soul. It gives life to emotions that you may or may not know exist. It reflects on your being as a whole. Your personality, you sense of style, your feelings, your problems, and your joys of life (among many other things).

Music reflects on the great triumphs and tragedies of life. It can express the power and passion of a moving public speaker and the woe and turmoil of those fighting for a losing battle. In this same sense, music can also be used as a motivator. It is a way for protesters to find their voice, a tool to mentally prepare those about to head into war. Music is a part of almost every personal, ego and confidence-boosting moment.

Music is also universal; it is the link that binds the world together as one. You do not need to speak the same language as your brother from Zimbabwe or your sister from the Netherlands because once the music starts flowing through the body, everyone understands one another. Everyone can see what everyone else is about. It ties the rich to the poor, the minority to the majority, and the weak to the strong.

Music is truly a divine gift from God. It makes the world go round. There are so many instances in life where music is taken for granted: that spectacular movie you just saw that left you invigorated, or that television drama that left you in a state of sadness. All of music’s subtleties are what makes life worth living. Without them, there would be no release from the world, no way to find peace and solace. And for this, I believe in music.