It’s All in My Head

Morgan - Casco, Wisconsin

It’s All in My Head

When I think in my head that I am going to get sick; I get sick. When I think I am going to fail the next exam; I fail. When I think that I am going to win the next race; I win.

My brother was a wrestler when he was younger. His opponent came onto the wrestling mat jumping around in a special singlet, and that’s when my brother, Mat would begin to get nervous, forget the moves, and just wait for it to be over. After the match Mat knew exactly what my dad was going to say, “It’s all in your head, son.”

Now my dad coaches my younger sister in softball and basketball. Before each game my dad gives her a pep talk. He tells her, “remember its all in your head, get out there and play the game.” My dad has told us kids this every since we were little and I definitely live up to it.

A few years back I was running the Bellin Run I never thought that I would make it. Running 6.2 miles seemed too long, but I told myself I could do it, and I started training in April every Tuesday and Thursday I would run. Not only did I run the race once, I ran it three years in a row. Putting my mind to it made me accomplish my goal to finish the Bellin Run and after I felt proud of myself.

One story that I remember from when I was little at daycare is the book The Little Engine That Could. In the book the train kept repeating to itself, “I think I can; I think I can” as it is trying to get up a hill. When I put my mind to something I know that I can accomplish it. I keep telling myself that I can do it over and over again, and when it’s over I feel good about myself.

People today are so worried about what other people think of them that they don’t believe in themselves anymore. Everyone is always bad mouthing someone that people begin to think they aren’t good enough, or they can’t do accomplish the task, but really that’s not true anyone can do anything. Nothing is impossible.

Believing in myself helps me retain pride, boosts my self-consciousness, and makes me feel like I have a place in this world. I believe anyone who puts their mind to something can accomplish anything no matter how big or small.